ST COLUMBA’S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Rev. Alistair Anquetil, BTh (Hons)
Rev. Jaco Bester, BTh
45 Lurgan Road
PO Box 72223
Tel: (011) 646-5420
St. Columba’s Presbyterian Church
Welcome! Please click on the links below to find out more about St Columba’s
Sunday Service with
Rev Jaco Bester
25th July 2021 at 9am
WER – Matters of the MIND
with Abby and Jaco
21st July 2021 at 6.30pm
MANAGING GRIEF AND LOSS IN THE TIME OF COVID
Nikki Bush in conversation with Rev. Alistair Anquetil, discuss the important topic of managing grief and loss in the time of Covid, including the validity and impact of incomplete grief and lack of closure. Alistair is one of the ministers at St Columba’s Presbyterian Church in Parkview, Johannesburg, together with Rev. Jaco Bester. His deep spirituality belies his ability to connect easily and naturally with people from all walks of life. Alistair’s insights and wise counsel are often sought when people are facing moments of crisis and celebration. During the global pandemic, Alistair and his staff, like many other institutions of faith, have been overwhelmed with death and loss as a result of the Covid-19 virus.
THIS CONVERSATION COVERS:
- What to say when someone has died
- The concepts of lack of closure and delayed grief
- How people are saying farewell to loved ones in a time of social distance
- The importance of maintaining a sense of community and support even in a hybrid world
- How do we create rituals in a time of social distance?
- How grief is situational and contextual – no two journeys are the same
- Survivor’s guilt and how important it is to let go of guilt to heal and move forward
- Grief and loss is a journey that continues – there is no full stop you are working towards
- The journey with grief has different tempos and support is not just needed at the beginning when things are intense
- How teams should not be left in a vacuum when one of their members dies
- The problems with isolation
- Death as a time of deep reflection
Nikki Bush in conversation with the REV ALISTAIR ANQUETIL about about managing grief and loss in the time of Covid. The concepts of incomplete grief, lack of closure, community and rituals in a time of social distance will be discussed. For more information visit www.nikkibush.com or www.stcolumbaschurch.co.za
Centenary Celebrations - 4th July 2021 at 9am
Dear St Columba’s Family,
We regret to inform you that after much thought and in light of Gauteng experiencing a surge of new Covid-19 infections, we have taken medical advice following which Session has made the decision to cancel in-person services and will inform you as soon as it is safe to resume in-person services.
THE CHURCH OFFICE:
Please be advised that the Church Office is closed due to a team member having tested positive for Covid-19 and the Office staff will continue to work from home.
Please stay safe during this high Covid-19 surge.
With love and respect
The St C Team
where to find us
St Columba’s is situated in the leafy cosmopolitan suburb of Parkview, a short walk from Zoo Lake and close to Johannesburg Zoo at 45 Lurgan Rd, opposite a small park with a playground. The traditional stone Church with its stained glass rose window and other beautiful windows created by leading artists is flanked by a well-tended Garden of Remembrance and fronted by a small courtyard garden with a fountain and fishpond. Its tranquil exterior belies all the activities that take place within the Church walls and beyond.