What you need to know

An appointment should be booked about 3 months before the wedding date in order for the bridal couple to meet the minister. At this meeting the minister will discuss the order of service with you. (i.e hymns, special requirements, etc) and it will be an opportunity to get to know you a little better.

The minister will also discuss with you what documents are required by the Dept of Home Affairs in order for your marriage to be registered. These documents need to be brought to Ann in the church office at least 3 weeks prior to your marriage.

A number of wedding venues are not accepted by the Dept of Home Affairs as legal wedding venues. If so, your minister will arrange for your legal wedding to take place at St. Columba’s. This will only take about 20 minutes and is usually a day or two before the actual wedding. The minister will explain to you at the first meeting why a venue is not considered to be a legal venue.

Should you wish to have pre-marital counselling you will need to book your first appointment with Margie Wilson on 083 556-2489 / 011 728-5740 at least four weeks before your wedding. You will be required to complete a FAMSA questionnaire which will be sent to FAMSA, and will be returned to her about a week later. The subsequent number of appointments you will need for counselling will depend on the outcome of the questionnaire.

Documents required
South African Citizens

• Copy of South African ID
• Three identical colour passport photos for both bride and groom

• In the case of either partner being divorced – Final Decree of Divorce (with official stamp)

• In the case of either partner being widowed – certified copy of Death Certificate

• Letter from attorney stating that your antenuptial contract has been signed by the relevant parties

• HANIS online verification of your marital status from Home Affairs.

NB. This must state :- REASON – Marriage registration and STATUS – Verified.

Non- South African citizens

We will no longer be performing any legal weddings for non-South African citizens as this involves a very complex process with Home Affairs. We are more than delighted to assist with the religious ceremony once the legal marriage has taken place.


Should you require the services of an organist kindly contact the church office and we will give you the contact details.  Tel +27 11 646 5420


The fee for weddings held in the Church at St. Columba’s is R4 400.00. The fee for weddings held at outside venues is R7 400.00. A fee of R5 per km is charged to cover the travelling costs for weddings that are held in venues outside of the greater Johannesburg area. Should the minister be required to fly to the venue and/or stay overnight, travel costs and accommodation will have to be arranged and paid for by the bridal couple.

Sadly, due to a number of wedding fees not being paid, the following payment structure has had to be implemented:

• R1 000.00 deposit payable upon booking and to confirm and secure your date.

• Balance of the fee to be paid one week before the wedding date.

• Should an organist be required, arrangements must be made by the bridal couple directly with the organist. Contact details available from the Church office.

• Payment can be made via EFT to the St. Columba’s bank account. R 4 400.00

Banking Details: Standard Bank Rosebank 

Branch 004305 

Account: 001948776 

Name: St. Columba’s Presbyterian Church

Registration of Marriage Documents

All documentation is delivered by hand  to the dept of home affairs in randburg within 2 days of the marriage.  Once the documents have been submitted, the registration process is handled entirely by the department of home affairs and is no longer the responsibility of St Columba’s.

 Unabridged marriage certificates are not automatically issued by the department.  They must be applied for in person at the Randburg Department of Home Affairs.

The document given to you by the minister on the day of your marriage is an abridged marriage certificate and is considered a legal document in most instances. Please keep this in a safe place.

We advise you to visit home affairs a couple of months after your marriage to verify that your marriage has been registered by them.